"Are you really sure that a floor can't also be a ceiling?" ~ M. C. Escher ~

Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Skyline – Illustration Friday

Click for a bigger and better image!

I see a trend happening...it is Wednesday already (although, this morning I could have sworn it was only Tuesday), and I finally completed my Illustration Friday. No excuses this week, except I just haven't felt like being on the computer. Let's just say I needed a little break!

This week's topic was another topic where I couldn't really get motivated at first. I guess I like topics that you can really expand upon...topics like "inspire" or "feelings." But, today I was sitting thinking about things...and, I was able to come up with something I am kinda pleased with.

When I was a little girl, I always loved snow globes...those little plastic, cheapie snow globes that you would spot in truck stops and souvenir shops. I never owned any that I can remember...but, I did always hope that somehow one would make it home for me to get lost in. Also, lately I have been dreaming of visiting my family (I was born and raised in Cleveland...and, have only been back to visit twice since we moved to Texas in 1996). This was my inspiration for this week's Illustration Friday topic, "Skyline."

22 Comments:

Blogger ° said...

this is soo great i lov it.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 9:20:00 PM

 
Blogger Larry Lee said...

Very nice take on the topic. I can see the Terminal Tower, the BP building (now called 200 Public Square), and the Key Building. I think the Key building was completed sometime just after I moved to the Akron area in 1985.
8^)

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 9:33:00 PM

 
Blogger HARDWAX said...

Wow this is such a great idea, everything you expressed in your narrative comes alive in this piece, love that little globe and miniature cleveland. Excellent, and what fun!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 10:16:00 PM

 
Blogger JO said...

Very Original. I left Cleveland 46 yrs ago, been in Huntington Beach ever since. Cool reminder.

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 10:22:00 PM

 
Blogger Angela Matteson said...

I really like this idea for the topic.
Very cute and fun!

Wednesday, July 12, 2006 11:08:00 PM

 
Blogger Franfou said...

well done !!!

Thursday, July 13, 2006 12:08:00 AM

 
Blogger Edric Hsu said...

This is fun! Well done on the different take on the topic! :D

Thursday, July 13, 2006 12:53:00 AM

 
Blogger CRISTOSOVA said...

Great idea! (And great red hair :)) You can tell she adores her snow globe by the way she is looking at it, comfortably on the floor, feet up. I think they are fascinating, too. Small, magical worlds.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 1:49:00 AM

 
Blogger Steve said...

Very clever illo, love the style and character design.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 3:24:00 AM

 
Blogger Queen Tut said...

This is great! So colourful and bold. I giggled at the concept. Positively dreamy!

Thursday, July 13, 2006 5:21:00 AM

 
Blogger carla said...

Great bright colors! I was also very intrigued by snowglobes... This illo captures that fascination and delight.

Thursday, July 13, 2006 5:23:00 AM

 
Blogger Amy Zaleski said...

What a great idea! I collect snowglobes but don't have a Cleveland one! Really great job!

Thursday, July 13, 2006 6:14:00 AM

 
Blogger Anette Heiberg said...

What a great idea for this topic!, and it looks really cute!

Anette
www.wynlen.no

Thursday, July 13, 2006 7:29:00 AM

 
Blogger Kayleen West - Children Author/Illustrator said...

Lovely concept. well done

Thursday, July 13, 2006 7:36:00 AM

 
Blogger Majeak Ann said...

I liked this idea very much!
You know..there is something about this "little glass things-don't know how it is call)", that makes my imagination fly. When I was little, now and then.

Great work!
Marjorie

Thursday, July 13, 2006 9:32:00 AM

 
Blogger valerie walsh said...

I love this illustration!!! Great idea, well done, clever and fun!!! Love your reminiscing about your childhood desires and just creating it for your self!!!

Thursday, July 13, 2006 12:18:00 PM

 
Blogger Geninne said...

What a cutie!!! Your illos are so joyful, I LOVE it :-)

Thursday, July 13, 2006 1:45:00 PM

 
Blogger Kay Aker said...

Oh, I love snow globes. They captivated me as a kid. What a great idea and execution!

Thursday, July 13, 2006 3:36:00 PM

 
Blogger Tony LaRocca said...

That was cute!

Thursday, July 13, 2006 7:58:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

skylines in snowglobes are always a pretty sight. Well illustrated ;-)

Thursday, July 13, 2006 10:55:00 PM

 
Blogger Michael O'Connell said...

great job… the skyline colors remind me of those funky little crystals that you grew in a fish bowl… thanks for the visit and stickin with me…

Thursday, July 13, 2006 11:27:00 PM

 
Blogger Christine Lim said...

How nostalgic! Lovely illo. I like her posture (my little girl does that a lot lately).

Saturday, July 15, 2006 7:50:00 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home