"Are you really sure that a floor can't also be a ceiling?" ~ M. C. Escher ~

Wednesday, July 19, 2006

Sacrifice – Illustration Friday

As long as I can remember, my nephew wanted to be a Marine. I'm not sure if he dreamed this because his father was a Marine, if he was intrigued with war, or if he truly wanted to protect our country. But, he always knew what he wanted to be when he grew up. Even when he was in school, he joined the "Young Marines"...and, right out of high school he became a Marine.

Last year my nephew went to Iraq and fought among the many men and women to help the citizens of Iraq gain their freedom. He never told me if he believed what he was fighting for...but, as far as I know...he never complained. His unit was hit hard with great devastation losing many troops in roadside bombings and insurgent attacks. Forty-six Marines and two navy Corpsman serving with the Battalion he was a part of gave their lives. My nephew's life was spared and he is now at home safe and sound. Just last month he celebrated his 21st birthday! But, I think about how my young and innocent nephew grew up rather quickly because of this war; he now knows more devastation and has seen more death than I ever can imagine. Then I think about the many men and women that made that ultimate sacrifice to forward the cause of democracy in Iraq...and each day more and more people are making that final sacrifice. This was my inspiration for this week's Illustration Friday topic, Sacrifice.

20 Comments:

Blogger Jeannetto said...

touching. I love the innocent look of the soldier.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 4:49:00 PM

 
Blogger Jaimie said...

great commentary and what a sweet simple illustration. Even though I don't agree with the war, I do admire the young men and women who serve their country.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 5:02:00 PM

 
Blogger ° said...

cute illo reminds me of all those young naive boys that go in to the service but come out men. I think most ppl that join believe in freedom for all ppl and not so much wht the war is about. and if ppl the world over lose there freedom then how long will it be that we as americans lose ours.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 5:17:00 PM

 
Blogger Debra Cooper said...

Very nice illlustration and what a thoughtful tribute to your nephew. Please tell him thank you for his efforts and well wishes on future assignments.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 6:52:00 PM

 
Blogger AndyDoodler said...

Great illo- the innocent youthful face seems like it's a thin veil behind which are visions of the horrors of war. Long life and peace to him, and all of us. I really admire, and am thankful for him and the troops. As far as my views on the politics behind this war- I'll shuddupah my faceah- I sometimes avoid watching and/or reading the news- too frustrating and sad.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 7:29:00 PM

 
Blogger Ellen said...

WOW! Very moving submission! I come from a long line of military family members(not me) and still have a cousin who goes back and forth to Iraq. I have to agree with "anydoodler" I keep my mouth shut about this war but politics? I say...GET A DAMN WOMAN IN THE WHITEHOUSE ALREADY!!!!

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 7:32:00 PM

 
Blogger Geninne said...

Txartgal, this illo is so moving! I'm so glad your nephew is back home safe and sound :-)
What a great tribute for him and all those kids sacrificing for freedom.
Thank you so much for you comment on my blog, it really meant a lot :-)

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 9:53:00 PM

 
Blogger Digital Scott's Illustrationblog said...

Very nice. Really well done.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 10:34:00 PM

 
Blogger Tony LaRocca said...

Very touching, well done. My heart goes out to your nephew.

Wednesday, July 19, 2006 11:10:00 PM

 
Blogger Linda said...

A sacrifice for sure, good character you've created.

Thursday, July 20, 2006 6:01:00 AM

 
Blogger Angela Matteson said...

His expression of innocence and worry appropriately represents many of those who take on this responsibility.
I'm glad your nephew is safe, and I hope we can soon say the same for the rest of our troops.

Thursday, July 20, 2006 7:36:00 AM

 
Blogger carla said...

I am glad your nephew made it home safely. This is a very sweet illo...I hope you'll give it to him!

Thursday, July 20, 2006 8:06:00 AM

 
Blogger Anette Heiberg said...

It's good to hear your nephew is safe home! I like the facial expression in your illustration.


Anette
www.wynlen.no

Thursday, July 20, 2006 11:24:00 AM

 
Blogger steve said...

I'm so glad your nephew is home and safe. It's time all our troops return home and we secure our airports, cities and stations. It's time for us to stop losing billions and billions of dollars to a war with no end and put our money to our schools, our elderly, our youth and our country's security. My heart goes out to anyone caught in this insane battle and it's due time to have all our troops return home like your nephew did.

Thursday, July 20, 2006 11:29:00 AM

 
Blogger Andrea said...

great submission! so glad he is home!

Thursday, July 20, 2006 7:34:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

no blood, no sacrifice ! Hum, let me think a bit...

Thursday, July 20, 2006 8:04:00 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your illustration depicts what you wrote perfectly. A sweet innocent boy going off to war and comes back as a man.

Thursday, July 20, 2006 8:23:00 PM

 
Blogger Amy Zaleski said...

Missed this last week...very touching story and sweet illustration. How proud you must be of your nephew. I'm really glad he returned home safely.

Friday, July 21, 2006 1:05:00 PM

 
Blogger Shano said...

Well thought out illo, thought, and sentiment. Thank you for posting this in honor of our fellow Americans.

Monday, July 24, 2006 1:13:00 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

A great sacrafice and a wonderful illustration - I'm glad he's home safe and sound now.

Tuesday, July 25, 2006 12:58:00 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home